Friday, August 27, 2004

An interesting quote by an Iraqi from an article in The Guardian, following their loss to Italy in the bronze medal game of the Olympics:

"Iraq was representing the Arab world and we are very proud of Iraq. This team has brought joy to out hearts. It's the only joy we've had since the end of the war," said Ahmed Naash, 21.

I think this quote is interesting because it came from Reuters news agency, which has consistently portrayed the occupation in Iraq as an on-going disaster. In fact, by reading most Reuters stories, you would get the impression that the occupation of Iraq has been nothing but an abject failure. I don't subscribe to that point of view, based on the reading I've done on various blogs, both from America and Iraq. That's not to say that there aren't still areas of intense fighting (Najaf, for one), but clearly there are sections of Iraq where the people (or at least some people) consider the war to have ended.

What that says to me is, at least for these areas, the occupation has been a success and the isolated areas of fighting are just that: isolated. It's possible I'm extrapolating too much based on this one quote, but at the very least it gives me reason for hope.

3 Comments:

Blogger Curious G said...

It's also interesting to note that the same Iraqi team was very angry at the Bush camp's use of their images to promote the president's re-election. To loosely quote a member of the team: "How can Bush have peace with his God when he's killed so many people?"

August 31, 2004 at 12:09 AM  
Blogger Wm said...

I can see how you (as a person) might think your point is interesting. However, it's only marginally related to the actual subject of the post.

The point I made was neither in favor of nor against the President himself, and said nothing at all about the election. Your eagerness to bring those topics into the conversation betrays a certain level of insecurity, and an unreasonable unwillingness to give any credit at all.

Further, you do your post a disservice when you split the infintive: "to loosely quote" should read "to quote loosely."

September 3, 2004 at 5:35 PM  
Blogger Curious G said...

"Your eagerness to bring those topics into the conversation betrays a certain level of insecurity, and an unreasonable unwillingness to give any credit at all."

I'm not sure how "insecurity" factors into what I said. I consider my comments relevant in the sense that your post alludes to the idea the occupation isn't as bad as people say and there is reason to hope. I hope you're right, but my comment also shows that we have a long ways to go in winning the hearts and minds of the people we conquored. This, in my humble view, is the most important part of any occupation, and the most important part of the "war on terror" at large.

Good things have come from the Iraq war, there is no question of that. But I find the war at large to be personally offensive and quite disturbing on allot of levels, which makes me very reluctant to assign any credit or support to our current president, his actions, or his policies.

And man.. you know I can't spell or use grammar correclty. That's nothing new.

September 7, 2004 at 8:51 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home